ホーム
About
The adventures and misadventures of Elder Shaw as he teaches among the Japanese, and is no doubt taught in return.
Head to the 'Profile,' section to read more about who I am, and what I believe in. For more information on where I actually am, please click
here.
横顔
Profile

My name is Brian Shaw, though you can just call me エルダーショー (Elder Shaw). As of the 19th of May 2010, I have been rigorously engaged in serving the Lord by laboring to bring the Japanese people back to their savior, Jesus Christ; and I will continue to do so faithfully until the 19th of the same month in 2012.
I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and I have an unshakable testimony that this church
is of Christ. I know Christ lives, and I know he suffered for my sins, so that I could return to live with my Heavenly Father after this life. I know that Joseph Smith, the founder of this church in the latter days, was called of God to restore Christ's authority to this earth, and establish the covenants and ordinances that were lost long ago. I also know that Joseph Smith was given a set of gold plates to translate into scripture called the Book of Mormon. I know the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
If you would like to know this just as I do, please click
here, or click
here for a
free copy of the Book of Mormon.
2 Nephi 25:26
"And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins."
文
Entries
4.25.2011 / 10:31 AM
総大会 - 最高でしたね・
Hello my dear family and friends. How has your week been? Mine has been awesome and full of miracles of course! First and foremost amongst the miracles is General Conference! Which was awesome! I loved it! All of it! Probably the best conference that's ever happened yet :D I've thought quite a bit about which talk I should bring up in my e-mail and deem 'favorite,' but it's pretty much impossible... So although I will talk a little bit about a talk that was mentioned, please avoid thinking that it is in any way my favorite. But anyways, I'll talk about that a little later I suspect. I also enjoyed the several references to Japan! It's so weird to me that I was in some sort of big disaster? Speaking of disaster, apparently another earthquake (smaller than before) hit the Sendai area again. But in Sapporo, we felt nothing of it... At least I didn't. My companion said it shook a little in the night, but I'm pretty sure he's just crazy.
Anyways, this week we were blessed to find quite a few new investigators. We also found some investigators who are in highschool through a basketball activity, which was lots of fun and very cool. They're pretty busy with school at the moment, but I'll let you know if anything cool happens with Junki or Masaki kun (there names). I might have mentioned them last week (because we actually found them last week), but I can't remember. I'll send a picture of all of us playing basketball.
We also were blessed to find two 70-year-old investigators. This one investigator, named Kuwahara San, wanted to hear the lessons because she wanted to know why we don't drink tea. I first met her on the street, put on the 'moves,' if you know what I mean (haha, remember, she's 70), and she invited us up for some tea. Which led to a lesson on the word of wisdom. And after a little convincing, she said she would try out the Word of Wisdom! Haha. We haven't even taught the Restoration of The Gospel yet (don't worry, that's next time). Pretty crazy! She's had a rough life, but she's really cool. The first picture I'm sending this week is of her, my companion, our joint Brother Akamatsu and of course, me. He husband left her 10 years ago for a 23 year old women, and as a result she has no money. But, as I'm sure you can imagine, is still one of the most giving people you'll ever meet. Funny how it always seems to work like that, huh?
The other 70-year-old investigator was also a miracle. So her name is Nagasawa San. She lived in America for 4-years (but doesn't speak any English) and LOVES Americans (and Canadians). However, when we brought up the fact that we would be talking about religion she was super against it. She wouldn't let us in to her house until we agreed to just talk about regular 'fun,' things. Which of course we didn't do! Haha. While just talking regularly, the gospel just kept 'coming up naturally' in the conversation. Imagine that? Hahaha. Anyways, it was a really, really cool lesson. If you ask why, it is because although she started first as being completely against anything and everything religion, as we kept teaching her, you could see her countenance change. You could see the spirit touch her and her heart open, if only a little. When Elder Taylor recited Joseph Smith's first vision, the spirit was so tangible you could cut it with a knife! It was a really good lesson. She's still a tough investigator to be honest and tries to resist hearing the message. But she's fighting a losing battle... The scripture comes to mind: 'How long can rolling waters remain impure? What power shall stay the heavens? As well might man stretch forth his puny arm to stop the Missouri river in it's decreed course, or to turn it up stream, as to hinder the Almighty from pouring down knowledge from heaven upon the heads of the Latter-Day Saints.' (or something close to that). She's not a Latter-Day Saint yet, I can already tell, the God wants her to hear the message, and one way or another, she's going to hear it :D
Anyways, that's the investigator information for this week. As for some other questions you may have... I don't have a bike still, or all of my luggage yet. They say it's coming soon though... My new area is AWESOME. It's called Teine, if you don't remember. The members are great, the people are great, and the temperature... Well, it can't all be bells and whistles I suppose :D My new Mission President is also AWESOME. He's an amazing man and I've already learned a many things from him. I do indeed miss Hachinohe and the Sendai Mission, but I know this is where I'm supposed to be; and I thank God for the chance to grow.
Speaking of growing, that's the topic I'd like to talk just a little bit about today. How is it that we grow? It's a difficult question! But luckily, Elder Christofferson answered it in his recent general conference address that talked about 'chastening.' I would reccommend re-reading his talk. However, for now, I'd just like to add a few of my thoughts to what he said. He talked about how being torn down is the only way to grow. I know this to be true. Oh so very true. When I first came to Japan, I got to experience this to a degree, as I struggled (and I mean STRUGGLED) with the Japanese language. I won't go into details, but I know that it is only when we are brought down low that we can finally realize we weren't standing up straight before.
Japan right now is in a difficult situation. Many people have lost everything dear to them. Loved ones, homes, jobs,... everything. Some people might look at this and say a Loving God would never let this happen. But it's quite the opposite. It is precisely because God loves us that he let this happen. Japan has an unprecedented opportunity to grow right now. Japan has an unprecedented opportunity to become something better. No, it won't be easy. No, it won't be quick. No, it won't be fun. But yes, it will be worth it. I know Japan can do it, and as Japan overcomes this dilemma, it will become a great blessing to them.
The same can be said of our lives. We all have chastenings from God. We all have tests. We all have trials. We all have things that bring us low. When we have this things, we might want to question our testimony. But we don't have to. We can see our trials as opportunities for growth. We can see our challenges as unprecedented chances to become something better. No, it won't be quick. No, it won't be easy. No, it won't be fun. But YES, it WILL be worth it.
And how do we turn our chastenings into growth? Our trials into progression toward our eternal goal? We all know the answers: Read your scriptures. Say your prayers. Attend and participate in your church meetings. Go to the temple as often as occasion permits. It is not a complicated formula. But it is a miracle. And once again, I add my testimony, it is worth it. I so promise, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
I love you all! Until, next week...
Pictures
----------
IMG_0003.JPG (image/jpeg) 1,376.00K - Me, Elder Taylor, Akamatsu B, Kuwahara San
IMG_0008.JPG (image/jpeg) 1,158.00K - Koichi Kun, Kota Kun, Kizuki Kun, Junki Kun, Masaki Kun, Elder Taylor, Brother Akamatsu, Myself
IMG_9489.jpg (image/jpeg) 87.00K - Group shot after basketball
IMG_9638.jpg (image/jpeg) 91.00K - A strange tradition in the Sapporo mission to give the new Missionaries really weird goodie bags and then take pictures next to their trainers? I am also still confused. But hey! Elder Taylor looks pretty good in his pink tiara...
IMG_9641.jpg (image/jpeg) 87.00K - My new Zone (at Zone Conference). A little bit bigger than the 8 missionaries who were in my zone before, huh?
--
みなを愛して
シャ 長老
PS. Sorry for the crappy picture quality on some pictures... My camera is dying! So the pictures I took with that camera are a little weak. Sorry!
PPS. From here on out, I'm going to try to write longer e-mails that answer all of your various questions from the week because I just don't have time to write everyone letters anymore... Sorry! If you really want me to send you letters just let me know and I'll make exceptions for you! (but don't tell the others... shhh....)



